Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Morning Sickness a Blessing?

Came across this article today:

Morning sickness linked to smarter babies

Thu, Apr 23, 2009 (HealthDay News) -- Children born to mothers who have morning sickness may be smarter than those whose moms don't have nausea and vomiting during pregnancy, suggests a new study.

Researchers found that the children of mothers with morning sickness scored higher on tests designed to assess children's IQ and mental acuity, the Canadian Press reported.

But while this difference was statistically significant, it doesn't mean that children born to mothers who didn't have nausea during pregnancy are developmentally slow, said senior author Dr. Gideon Koren, director of the Motherisk Program at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto. It's just that the other children scored higher on the tests.

The study appears in the Journal of Pediatrics.

Nausea has long been recognized as a sign of a healthy pregnancy, according to the CP. Pregnant women who have morning sickness are less likely to have a miscarriage and less likely to have babies with congenital cardiovascular problems.


P.S. We are scheduled to induce May 5th - unless I go on my own earlier!

5 comments:

cdiddy said...

Keep in mind that this study was done in Canada where every sentence ends with Eh ( ay ).

Letti said...

This is funny. I must disagree though because I have never been sick with any of my pregnancies and my kids are pretty smart. Sorry for bragging. Cacia I think your child will be smart for sure look at her mom and dad even though I have never met him. Well I hope that you go into labor on your own and if not Bobby my brother would love to have your baby share his birthday. Good luck and I will be thinking about you.

PS I still think your doctor is waiting a long time to induce.

Anonymous said...

Hey Cacia! Sara told me to find your blog...so I did :)
Anyways Hopefully Adele comes very, VERY soon!! Anyways, Im going to add you to my friends/family list on my blog...Hang in there, she will be out before you know it!
Haley

Anonymous said...

You've already had the little one by now... CONGRATULATIONS!!

schaars said...

Hey Girlie so my Doctor finally called me back and I guess she wont take any new patients her practice is to full. I feel so bad I shouldn't have said anything until I knew for sure I just though she would since she had just taken my Sis in law a few weeks ago. But they did say that her partners are still taking patients and I have seen all of them and think they are all really good and nice. Good luck and I hope you have the little one really soon.